Established in the early 1980s, UHY in Malaysia expanded rapidly from a small accounting practice to a mid-sized accounting firm in the Malaysia with offices in Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru and Malacca.
In 2000, UHY in Malaysia established its Penang office. The northern region office offers a broad range of services from Audit and Assurance, Taxation, Financial Planning, to Business Advisory. The year 2002 saw establishment of the Internal Audit Department to promote good corporate governance and management practice through review and recommendation of internal control systems, risk assessment and risk management. UHY in Malaysia is also involved in corporate advisory work, performed the role as Reporting Accountant and assisted in numerous successful corporate recoveries.
In 2005, UHY in Malaysia established its Kuala Lumpur (KL) office. In July 2008, UHY in Malaysia embarked on a new chapter when Mr. Alvin Tee was appointed as the Principal Partner of UHY KL office. To date, Alvin and his SUPERSTARS of the KL office are already well accomplished with numerous milestones. Highlights include appointments as external auditor from eleven (11) Public Listed Companies within a year, relocation of the KL office to a 5,000 sq. ft. dynamic and trendy address at The Gardens South Tower, Mid Valley City. On top of that, UHY in Malaysia is the external auditor for seventeen (17) Malaysian Public Listed Companies.
UHY in Malaysia also involved in Advisory & Distressed Assets Management for a few premier Malaysian banks and provides cross border Merger and Acquisition (M&A) Advisory. In May 2009, Alvin was appointed the Receiver & Manager (R&M) for a Public Listed Company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad. This was the first Receivership assignment of UHY in Malaysia on a Main Market Public Listed Company. In the same year, UHY in Malaysia also successfully executed the sale of a five-star hotel and a six-storey purpose built medical centre at a consideration of RM90 million and RM134 million respectively.
Going abroad, UHY in Malaysia also acted as the Reporting Accountant for a Malaysian company that was successfully listed and commenced trading on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) of the London Stock Exchange in 2008. This was also followed by a China-based company with a market capitalisation of approximately RM500 million, seeking public listing in Malaysia.
UHY in Malaysia is also a member of UHY, the international network's training and education working group. Training and educational opportunities are continually provided to build better capabilities of the UHY team. In 2009, the Penang office launched its inaugural UHY Learning Series seminar with the objective of providing continuous professional development for its staff while keeping clients abreast with developments in the financial reporting environment.
The milestones of UHY in Malaysia do not end here. Today, more than 150 professional staff in different positions throughout Malaysia makes up UHY in Malaysia. UHY in Malaysia targets to become one of the Top Ten Accounting firms in Malaysia within three (3) years and also aspires to 'Strive to be the Best Accounting Firm to Work For'!
- Relocation of KL office to The Gardens South Tower, Mid Valley City in September 2008 and doubled its office space within 18 months.
- Appointed by 11 Public Listed Companies as external auditor within 12 months.
- Clinched 20 Advisory and Distressed Assets Management assignments within 6 months.
- Adviser to 2 major banks on overseas Syariah Banking expansion plans.
- First Receivership assignment on Main Market Public Listed Company.
- Completed the sale of a 5-star hotel and six-storey medical centre at RM90 million and RM134 million respectively.
- Appointed as Reporting Accountant for a company that was successfully listed on the AIM of the London Stock Exchange.
- Appointed as Reporting Accountant for a China-based Company seeking public listing in Malaysia with a market capitalisation of approximately RM500 million in an IPO exercise.